Saturday, November 25, 2006

Groove Armada vs The Sawdoctors

On the 9th of November an aural feast came to Dubai. Two outdoor gigs clashed on this night of audial euphoria. The creek was the dividing line between the two genres of fans.

On one side was the hip, cool, fashion conscience expats whose musical tastes had evolved from the after hour sessions at their locals back home. Yes, this is where I was! The crowd were treated to 6 hours of Groove Armada, Soulwax, 2 many DJs and more. The grounds featured a VIP and a VVIP area which seemed to be the most sought after position of the night. Well oiled, I managed to talk myself into the VIP area.....What a disappointment! There were about 6 people in there, looking depressed and wondering why they had splashed out on a ''VIP'' ticket when you could barely see the stage. I'd say I was in there less than 5 minutes before security realised that my friends weren't in there with my wristband that I was going to get off them, so I was thrown out. It was odd because usually you're kicked out of a crowded place and onto the street but this time it was like being thrown out of an empty street and into a big party. Things really are strange over here. Anyway, on the other side of the creek were those who....well, i'm not going to describe their personalities. All I have to say is that these were the Sawdoctors fans... Dubai is strange on many levels. I think because you have so many cultures and nationalities here that it's hard to judge what kind of crowd to expect at any event. This fact rang through the next day when I heard that there had only been a measly thousand people at the Groove Armada gig while down in the Irish Village, the Sawdoctors had packed the place out with over 3000 people screaming the N17. Shouldn't he be dead by now or something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home